Guiding by the belief that all lives have equal value, the Global Finance & Accounting Services Team (GFAS) is a group of high performing financial professionals deep in the following financial expertise: technical accounting, banking, treasury, tax, payroll, and financial operations. We are guardians of Bill, Melinda & Warren’s finite and precious gift and achieve the highest standards for innovation, integrity, and efficiency in deploying resources. We partner with our colleagues to invest the foundation’s resources wisely and boldly in service of people who need it the most.
The GFAS team is seeking a program manager passionate about implementing efficient and effective finance and accounting systems, tools and processes.
You are an experienced program manager with a successful history of leading complex programs through the complete life cycle. You are a leader, problem-solver, trusted business partner, and guru in managing programs at a large scale.
To be successful in this role, you will challenge the status quo and constantly seek innovative, simple solutions to exciting and complex problems. You will never sacrifice your integrity because you realize the importance of the foundation’s reputation and charitable causes. You are a data driven decision maker and have the ability to see the big picture, but never lose sight of the detail. You are an impatient optimist yet understand patience and collaboration are required in successfully launching complex programs.
Most importantly, you are a talented, top performing program management professional passionate about the mission and this is what drives you to bring your whole self to work each day.
- Successfully lead and manage program activities through the complete program life cycle from requirements and planning to rollout and measurement. This includes
- program definition, project scheduling, budgeting and forecasting, resource planning, contracting, risk and issue management, change control and release management.
- Ensures strategic alignment cross functionally, identifying opportunities to achieve strategic objectives through program implementation.
- Collaborates with foundation leaders globally, on program prioritization; ensures executive sponsorship and support of programs.
- Collaborates with division and operations partners (e.g., IT, Legal, Communications, HR) on program design, implementation and continuous improvement.
- Compare actual performance with planned performance, analyze variances, assess trends to effect process improvements, evaluate possible alternatives, and implement appropriate corrective action if needed to continuously improve programs. May manage key external relationships.
- Evangelizes the programs and associated initiatives, internally and externally, to develop awareness of and participation in the programs.
- Establish shared goals, roles and responsibilities, metrics and feedback loops and other operating best practices.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized and curious people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things. You have the strength to bring out the best in other people and ensure the collective success of the foundation. You treat colleagues with respect, offer trust & transparency, create an environment where people feel they can bring their authentic selves to work and bring energy to the team.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Complex problem solving and plan building.
- Process design experience and demonstrated systems thinker.
- Organizational change management and continuous improvement frameworks and methods.
- Strong collaboration, communication and influencing skills, including with senior executives and leaders.
- May require vendor management, including selection, negotiation and measurement.
- Demonstrated flexibility and resilience.
- Ability to engage effectively with individuals with diverse backgrounds and styles and senior management.
- Ability to build strong relationships cross functionally and establish common and shared goals for collective success.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or other advanced degree with 8+ years of experience, or equivalent experience. Technical degree or certification preferred
- Proven track record of career progression
- Sound business judgement, strategic and analytical capabilities
- Exceptional influencing and communication skills; ability to build strong relationships cross functionally
- Familiarity with technical systems, data mining and data analysis (e.g. Business Intelligence tools)
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.