Central Washington University
Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Full/Part Time Full-Time
| || |
| || Job Summary |
| || |
This position functions as a supervisor and service provider who delivers professional finance and accounting services to the University. Functions include GL Accounting, Banking, Investments, Endowments, Fixed Assets, GL Reconciliation, and Monthly Closing. This position must provide a high level of customer service while maintaining compliance with federal, state, OFM, and university rules and regulations.
| || Job Duties |
| || |
General Ledger Functions
- Perform regular reconciliations of the GL balance sheet accounts to the relevant sub-systems or 3 rd party documents.
- Identify discrepancies, analyze details to determine cause, prepare correcting entries and recommend appropriate changes to existing procedures to eliminate future discrepancies.
- Manage and maintain system chartfield requests and changes, manage relate trees and system setup when adding new requested values.
- Maintain the internal accounting structure(s) and the external state reporting structures and ensure new values are properly translated to the state. Act as the GL lead in testing and upgrades to the system (includes testing, documenting, troubleshooting, evaluating, and providing solutions to GL issues).
- Tie out year end balances used in financial statements, review all balance sheet accounts that do not have stand-alone confirms done by others.
- Additional GL reconciliations as deemed necessary by mgt.
- Develop processes and procedures for accounting student GL duties to include data entry, journal processing, filing, and other student appropriate tasks.
Cash and Asset Management Functions
- Participate in the bank contract negotiations, banking relations, coordination of banking with the university.
- Monitor the internal control of cash. When problems are discovered, analyze procedure and work with staff to find solutions to ensure proper cash control.
- Review managerial reports dealing with cash and other assets. Review and coordinate fund working papers and statements for Funds (859 and 997)
- Administer the Single point banking interface.
- Audit department petty cash accounts.
- Prepare monthly cash account reconciliation.
- Act as backup for banking transactions and other areas as required.
- Prepare, review, and post GL entries to the accounting system.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of the fixed asset module with the intent of making better use of the delivered fixed asset functionality in PeopleSoft. Evaluate, design use cases, write procedures, prepare documentation, and train relevant users.
- Along with the Financial Services Manager and Asset Management Accountant, coordinate and manage the CWU Endowment/Investment Portfolio by consulting with US Bank Bond manager, researching options and making informed and detailed purchase decisions for state owned and private investments.
- Provide timely and accurate managerial reports as needed, including reports showing investment portfolio characteristics and allocation are in compliance with current CWU investment policy guidelines.
- Manage and coordinate the CWU investment committee, plan and schedule meetings, prepare informational handouts, and review current investment balances.
- Actively engages in recruitment and hiring new employees
- Clearly define performance expectations, ensure accountability, and provides ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring. Conduct formal performance evaluations
- Ensures employees have necessary resources
- Oversees and directs the work of staff; serves as mentor, coach and leader, and resolves complaints or issues.
- Promotes professional development opportunities;
- Develops and fosters supportive working relationships, motivation and engagement;
- Communicates information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community;
- Takes corrective action in a timely manner;
- Recognizes and rewards employees for good performance;
- Schedules employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked; approve payable time and absence requests;
- Adjusts leadership style as needed to achieve results;
- Recognizes value of and promotes diverse workforce. Values and encourages diverse perspectives, creativity and teamwork
- Supervise, coordinate, and plan cash, fixed assets, banking, reconciliation, investment activity and related office functions. Provide accountants with management guidance regarding short and long term fiscal requirements. Determine deadlines and plan staffing requirements for special projects. Initiate and develop fiscal management reports as required for effective accounting and management practices.
- Supervise treasury portion of PCI compliance effort, electronic bank reporting, cash request, monthly close process, and PCI compliance procedures. Crosstrain staff on PCI compliance procedures, prepare and supervise annual PCI compliance training for university staff. Maintain up to date list of who is required to have annual PCI compliance training and maintain records indicating who has received training in coordination with the CISO.
- Supervise investments, endowments, cash management and posting, petty cash reconciliation, wire transfers, PCI training and compliance efforts, maintenance of the PeopleSoft Fixed Asset and Bank Reconciliation Systems, reconciliation of the fixed assets, credit card and bank reconciliations.
Participate in the PCI Compliance Functions as Finance PCI DSS Lead
- Maintain accounting system and subsystems to meet GAAP and additional requirements as identified in the PCI guidelines. Coordinate the treasury portion of the PCI compliance efforts with the Director of Financial Services, staff, CISO and IS.
- Participate in continuing education to stay current with federal agencies and state requirements and relations by attending classes reviewing literature, list-serves and newsletters. Review and adapt procedures for new regulations and reporting requirements.
Foundation Cash Interface
- With cooperation of the CWU Foundation accountant, monitor cash that is transferred between CWU Foundation and CWU. Maintain the current CWU to Foundation monthly interface process, review and update processes and procedures as necessary to maintain integration. Perform monthly integration, review results, and prepare reports of results.
- Other duties as assigned
| || Minimum Qualifications |
| || |
- Bachelor's degree, which includes 45 quarter or 30 semester hours in accounting, auditing or budgeting.
- 4 Years extensive professional accounting experience in such areas as: accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, or budget forecasting.
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Masters degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Experience working with PeopleSoft, or similar enterprise accounting system
- Experience in CWU Accounting
- Supervisory Experience
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
| || Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule |
| || |
| Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch), Some evenings and weekends may be necessary |
Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
| || How To Apply |
| || |
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting; and
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: February 21, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
| || Contact Information |
| || |
Name: Lori Hauser
Title: Administrative Assistant
Phone: (509) 963-2956
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
| || Conditions of Employment |
| || |
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.