| Join our award-winning team at University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC). Among the top medical centers in the United States, and ranked as the number 1 hospital in Washington State, as rated by U.S. News & World Report 2016-2017 "America's Best Hospitals", UWMC prides itself on compassionate patient care as well as its pioneering medical advances. UWMC is operated by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW's School of Medicine. |
The University of Washington is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. As an employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please view this page.
The UWMC Regional Heart Center has an outstanding opportunity for a TEMPORARY/HOURLY PATIENT CARE COORDINATOR (PCC) (Float/Day Shifts). The PCC is responsible for coordinating the delivery of medical care, as formulated by UWMC physicians or their designee, and patients' access to various healthcare services. The PCC will coordinate patients' entry into and through the healthcare system, coordinate patient care services, and serve as a patient advocate. The PCC will also facilitate the delivery of optimal patient care and make initial contact and provide information to the patient or the referring physician on behalf of the Surgical Specialties Clinic providers.
Responsibilities of the PCC include:
- Act as primary liaison for UWMC/UW Medicine and represent departmental physician(s) with the hospital, patient and family, referring physicians, outside agencies, staff from outside hospitals and general public by providing information and advice regarding UWMC hospital services.
- Work independently under the general direction of a physician or their designee.
- Use ability to triage medical information in a specific medical or surgical specialty.
- Use effective oral and written communication with a variety of Health Care Professionals, patients and their advocates, hospital and clinic personnel both at UWMC and other medical facilities, representatives of insurance companies and other organizations related to the health care industry.
- Request interpreters as appropriate for appointments, admissions, and surgery.
- Use a variety of computer systems such a EPIC, PHS, ORCA/Mindscape, One Health Port, Microsoft Products, Provider One
- Maintain knowledge of billing and medical record documentation requirements, diagnostic tests and procedures and specialized pre-procedure instructions with guidelines set by the department or clinic Chairperson or Medical Director.
- Assist in scheduling new patient appointments by triaging to appropriate subspecialty (Heart Failure, VAD, Transplant, Gen Card) and physician.
- May enter appointment information in online appointment system.
- Schedule procedures for the Electrophysiology Lab:
- Ablations (Aflutter, AFib, VT, SVTs, etc.)
- Device placements (Perm Pacemakers, ICDs, Loop Recorders, Bi-V ICDs)
- Lead Extractions
- Make all Pre-Authorization phone calls for procedures more than 48 hours out and works with Financial Services as needed to ensure proper/adequate insurance coverage.
- Arrange all pre-procedure studies needed prior to EP Lab procedure scheduling, including:
- Cardiac CT/MRI prior to AFib ablations
- Vascular studies prior to device placements
- Coronary Angiograms
- Act as liaison between patient, physicians, OR, nurses, other clinics, nursing units, admitting, Financial Counseling, blood bank, lab, Radiology, etc. for the purpose of coordinating all pre-op planning and preparation.
- Communicate pre-op planning and preparation to patient.
- Responsible for requesting necessary surgical equipment, tools, supplies, devices, and implants (will supply necessary info for custom implants).
- Will be responsible for scheduling, rescheduling, and canceling surgeries on PHS scheduling system. Will monitor case order day prior to surgery and make any necessary changes.
- May assist with completion of surgery packet.
- Schedule surgeries into the OR
- Responsible for scheduling appointments with pre-anesthesia
- Responsible for pre-anesthesia work-ups
- The person in this position will block and unblock the OR schedule and related resources.
- Responsible for reviewing registration data such as demographic, insurance, referral, next of kin etc., and updating online or providing information to appropriate personnel so that an update may be done.
- May provide clinic charges for visit types, procedures, and surgeries to patients or prospective patients to the clinic. May provide estimated charges based on plan of care for purpose of patient deposits when patient is determined to be self-pay. This is done in conjunction with Financial Services and under the direction of the PCC Manager, clinic Manager/Department Administrator.
- Contact review organizations and insurance companies to ensure prior approval requirements are met before patients enter the system such as pre-authorization and referrals; present necessary medical information such as history, diagnosis, prognosis, and length of stay prior to admissions; provide specific medical information to financial services to maximize reimbursement to the hospital and physicians.
- Act as a liaison between patients, consulting physician, referring physician or outside agency to coordinate patient appointments, admission, or surgery. Will coordinate the exchange of information either written or verbal before and after patients are seen.
- Coordinate with other departments for needed services and coverage to perform procedures:
- ICRU (recoveries in PACU, Loop recorders)
- CT Surgery, Perfusion and OR Staff as needed for Lead Extractions
- Arrange and schedule adequate industry representative coverage:
- Device representatives must be in attendance for all placements
- Most arrhythmia mapping is done by company representative
- Perform pre-procedure phone calls to patients related to Cardioversions
- Coordinate HMC transfers related to device placements and ablations that are done at UWMC patients will usually return back to HMC and not stay for night
- Admission coordination related to Sotalol loading coordination, including patient communication, physician availability ,and bed procurement
- Obtain all necessary medical records, diagnostic studies, pathology items, etc. that are needed for patient care.
- Coordinate the patient's entry into the system to include the availability of necessary records, coordination of tests, procedures and appointments with all hospital departments.
- Responsible for completing a Pre-Admit for all planned hospital admissions and follow up with Admitting, Financial Counseling and Utilization Review, as necessary.
- Responsible for coordination of pre-admission tests and procedures.
- Coordinate the direct transfer of patients from outside hospitals to UWMC with physicians, medical staff and admitting.
- Responsible for communicating cancellations or changes to Admitting, Financial Counseling and medical staff.